8/13/08

This Week In Toronto (Aug 14-20)

So, what's happening this week?  Well, I'll tell ya.  But first, have you ever heard of Mark Berube?  He's amazing, and I think everyone should check him out, his song "Barber Shop" is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. He's a very gifted writer, and here's hoping we hear a lot more of him in the future.   Leave a comment in the section marked Comments.  Click links for info.  Oh, and if you're in London Ontario tonight, come see me play at the London Music Club with Sam Allen and State Bird of Idaho.

THURS AUG 14

Hard Core Logo playing at the Revue Cinema 7pm
Hardcore Logo might my favorite film to come from Canada.  It's a fictional documentary about the reunion tour of Canadian punk pioneers, "Hardcore Logo".  The band consists of Hugh Dillon (formerly of the Headstones) and, one of Canada's finest actors, Callum Keith Rennie.  This is worth seeing at the worst of times, but this is going to be a special event with the movie AND a tribute night!  Bands like Spookey Rueben and the Flatliners will be covering HCL songs!  PLUS there will be a Q&A with director Bruce McDonald.... This will be great.


FRI AUG 15

Radiohead at Molson Amphitheatre
Fuck.  I don't even know why I'm posting this.  You won't get tickets for less then $400 from a skelper.  If you have tickets, I hate you.  This will be the first Radiohead show I've missed since 1997.  Who's to blame?  I'm gonna go with ticketmaster.  Or maybe you, cause you touch yourself.  

SAT AUG 16 

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie playing at Bloor Cinema 2:30
I don't have to tell you that this is awesome.  You know it's awesome.  Without this movie, you probably wouldn't be using the word "Awesome".  At first I was worried that this was the new CGI movie but it looks like it's the original.  Nice.

SUN AUG 17

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Movie playing at Bloor Cinema 2:00
Re-live those precious childhood memories not once, but twice in one weekend!  Elias Koteas as Casey Jones!  That's right, the guy who humped Rosanna Arquette's leg wound in "Crash" is the human hero in a kids movie... it's called acting.

MON AUG 18 

Country Joe McDonald at Hugh's Room 9pm
Country Joe?!  He played Woodstock, and if you've seen the film, he's the guy that starts his set by getting the audience to spell out the word "Fuck" and promptly goes into the Vietnam protest song "I Feel Like"... well, check it out, it's on youtube right here.  "Well there ain't no time to wonder why.  Whoopie we're all gonna die!".  Yup, there's a bouncy ball guiding you along on the words, you can sing along!!

TUES AUG 19

Manhattan playing at the Bloor Cinema 4:30
This is one of my favorite movies.  I just watched it two days ago to prepare for my upcoming trip to New York City.  It's a romantic ode to New York, and the intro is one of my favorite intros in movie history, watch it here.  But that intro is gorgeous on the big screen, as is the rest of the movie.  

WED AUG 20

Robocop playing at Fox Theatre 7pm
Robocop is an awesome movie.  Don't deny it.  It's unflinching, violent, political, and very cool.  It's gonna be remade soon, and I really don't think they'll be able to make the kind of film they made back in 87'.  But the remake will be by Requim for a Dream director Darren Aaronofsky, so that's promising.  The Fox is also playing Paul Verhoeven's other masterpiece... Showgirls at 9pm.

No comments: