8/22/08

This Week In Toronto (Aug 22- 27)

I'm a day behind on this, and I have a very good excuse. I was in New York for 4 days. Than I took the overnight bus (waited at customs for 3 hours) and went straight to work for 10. When I got home last night I was beat. I went to bed at 7:30, easily the earliest night I've had since I was a child. Anyways, this week looks really fun, so, read more by clicking the links, and add anything (or any comments you have) to the comments section. Holy shit, look at the fox cinema's 80's week schedule (in the friday section).


Fri Aug 22

Pretty in Pink and the Breakfast Club playing at Fox Theatre 7 and 9pm
Alright, a John Hughes double feature to start the weekend!! Breakfast Club is of coarse a classic, but I got to admit, I've never seen Pretty in Pink. I know, I have too. If you love the 80's and don't mind the trip out to the east end, this is the film night for you... actually, while perusing the Fox schedule for this week, I've noticed it's all 80's this week. Really cool let me give you a quick run down SAT: The Last Starfighter, Barron Von Munchausen, Say Anything and Ghostbusters. SUN: The Dark Crystal (!!), Sixteen Candles, Dirty Dancing and Weird Science. MON: Breakfast Club, Nightmare on Elm St. TUES: Sixteen Candles and Weird Science. and WED: Ghostbusters. Wow!! The Fox kinda kicks ass. Check their online schedule for times.


SAT AUG 23

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Secret of the Ooze playing at Bloor Cinema 2:30
Awesome. Thanks Bloor Cinema, for a week of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles goodies!! Last week was the first film, and this week is part 2. This is the one with Super Shredder!! Vanilla Ice!! Damn, I wish I wasn't working! But, it's playing again on Sunday, same time and place... so I'll go to that one... anyone with me? Sunday screening of the ninja turtles?

SUN AUG 24

The 400 Blows playing at Bloor Cinema 6:15
This is exciting. The bloor has gotten a hold of a new 35mm print of Truffaut's masterpiece, The 400 Blows (or Les Quatre Cents Coups). The story follows a young neglected boy getting into (and trying to get out of) trouble in Paris. It's a very touching film and is also playing on Monday August 25th at 9:15 and Tues August 26th at 7. A really great film, and a REALLY great way to spend a week night.


MON AUG 27

Batman: The Movie playing at Bloor Cinema 7pm
If you decide to see The 400 Blows tonight at 9:15, how about coming a bit earlier and catching the incredibly campy Batman: The Movie? It's Adam West's Batman!! and The Penguin, Riddler, Catwomen, and The Joker!! Aaaand an exploding Shark!! So much fun.



TUES AUG 26

Shawn Clarke and Kaya Faser at Cameron House (408 Queen St. W) 7-9 $8
Yup, it's time to pimp myself out again. I'm playing at the great Toronto Venue, the Cameron House with one of my favorite musicians, Kaya Fraser. If you haven't seen Kaya play, now's your chance. Show starts at 7, and runs until 9, and then there is some sort of comedy show going on... But come see us play!! Woo!! Facebook, Events page.

Don Caballero at Lee's Palace 9pm $10.50
And then, when you're done seeing me and Kaya, head over to Lee's and catch Don Caballero. This band is considered Math Rock, but don't let that term deter you, They are great players, with interesting sounds, a good choice if you're looking for something a bit more experimental for a Tuesday night.


WED AUG 27

Final Fantasy at Danforth Music Hall (147 Danforth) 9pm $20
Final Fantasy is one of Canada's most interesting musicians. Made his debut as the violinist for Arcade Fire, went on a solo violin tour (as Final Fantasy), won the Polaris in 2006, and if you're anybody in the indie scene, you've had him arrange strings for your album. Anyways, he writes haunting, beautiful melodies, and his themes get under your skin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

exploding shark! wow!

Shawn William Clarke said...

yeah man, it may be the greatest moment in Cinema history.

Lesley Myrick said...

Ooooh John Hughes marathon! Too bad I totally forgot about it and it's happening right now. *sigh* I need to write this stuff down!