9/26/08

This Week In Toronto (Sept 26 - Oct 1)

Ok catch up time. I hope everyone enjoyed My Bloody Valentine, or Holy Fuck. I didn't see either, I worked late and went to bed. Boring. Anyways, here's the rest of the week, special thanks to Jessica Rae Gordon for sending me the links to the Clothing Show.... which reminds me, have you checked out Jessica's work before? you really should, click on her name, I'll wait for you to come back.

FRI SEPT 26

The Clothing Show at the Better Living Center (Exhibition) 8$ online, 10$ at the door
This is usually a great place for independent fashion. I bought a belt buckle here one time... But Jessica knows fashion, and she loves this show, so I'm sending it on to you (see how this works?) It's going all weekend, so that gives you lots of time to find some loose change in the cushions for that perfect shawl.



SAT SEPT 27

Martin Tielli at Hugh's Room (2261 Dundas W) $20
Tielli is one of the guitarist/vocalist from The Rheostatics. But more importantly, he released a solo acoustic album that has become one of my favorites of all time (We Didn't Even Suspect That He Was the Poppy Salesman). He will be debuting music from his upcoming album, The Ghost of Danny Gross. He's also playing on Sunday night at Hugh's Room. See him twice!



SUN SEPT 28

Kew Gardens Free Sunday Screening (2075 Queen St W)
Now this is a great idea. The good people at the Fox cinema have decided to put on an outdoor screening at Kew Gardens, and the movie is to be determined by a vote at their blog. The film choice are: Jurrasic Park, Goonies, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz and Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Suprisingly so far Goonies is in the lead with Who Framed Roger Rabbit in a close second. The Wizard of Oz is last for some reason. Go and vote here.


MON SEPT 29

Little Shop of Horrors playing at Bloor Cinema 9:30
This is cool! This isn't the 80's remake with Martin Short (although that is a funny movie) this is the 1960 original! with Jack Nicholson! Directed by Roger Corman! Should be a fun screening as well. If you don't know the story, Nicholson creates and befriends a carnivorous plant, and begins killing people to feed it. Classic black comedy.



TUES SEPT 30

Trainspotting and Fight Club at Fox Theatre
Now that's a pretty cool double bill. Ewen McGregor as a junkie, Edward Norton as a crazy person, and Brad Pitt as figment of someones imagination. Good films, worth the trip to the east end.


WED OCT 1

Shawn Clarke at Free Times Cafe
Hey that's me! Yeah, I'll be playing the legendary Free Times Cafe on College street this Wednesday. Normally I'd try to entice you with some other talent on the bill except, well, I don't know who's playing with me... so, I might need your support more than usual, as I may be the only one bringing the bar it's hard earned money. But I'm working on a few people, and when I get a couple more acts on the bill, I'll send you an update. My only competition on Wednesday seems to be a some guy called Nick Cave and his band the Bad Seeds.... Fine. Go see Nick Cave. I'll understand.

There I am

4 comments:

Lesley Myrick said...

There you are indeed. Amazing picture.

Shawn William Clarke said...

Thanks. Paterson, cello player from Olenka and the Autumn Lovers, took it

Anonymous said...

polls are closed! Goonies wins!

Shawn William Clarke said...

Goonies for free outside... sounds pretty good to me!