12/3/08

This Week In Toronto (Dec 4 - 10)

Hey all, sorry if this seems a little rushed today. I just haven't been in the mood to do anything (which might explain why I didn't get up a post for last Monday to Wednesday). Today it didn't help that I heard of the death of Folk and civil rights legend, Odetta. She played here last month at Hugh's Room, but I didn't go. I'm seriously kicking myself for that. If you can, check out her music, she was one of the best. Oh man, and on top of that, I just heard that The Cineforum, the famous cinema that shows in Reg Hartt's house is closing... oh man. what a day.



THURS DEC 4


White Christmas playing at Revue Cinema 7:30
Well this is cool! The Revue is playing the 1954 classic White Christmas, and it's FREE with a non-perishable food item!! Fantastic! Bing Crosby and Danny Kay! This is a great thing that the Revue is doing, who wants to come with me?



FRI DEC 5

Wayne Shorter Quartet at Massey Hall
Jazz Legend Wayne Shorter will be... um... jazzin' up Massey hall.


SAT DEC 6

Noah Zacharin at Free Times Cafe
Noah is one of the Free Times Cafe staples. He's almost always involved in the various tribute nights they have. On top of that, he's one of Toronto's unsung folk hero's. Seriously. He's very talented, and you won't get a more intimate place to see him than the Free Times Cafe.


MON DEC 8

The Salvador Dali Film Fest at Cineforum 9pm
Well, as I'd mentioned earlier, the Cineforum will be soon closing it's doors. It seems that the lease is finally up (read more here). I've always seen posters for this (he's been showing this "film Festival" for as long as I can remember), but I've never been. I think this Monday I may have to remedy that. Dali's films are much like his paintings, very, very surreal. Everyone should see his short, Un Chien Andalou, co-directed by Luis Bunuel, which if I'm not mistaken, is part of this collection. Here's a taste, courtesy of You Tube.


TUES DEC 9 Fargo playing at Bloor Cinema 4:30pm
The Coen brothers have an almost perfect film track record (The only black mark being this years awful Burn Before Reading). But this is still their best. Funny, haunting, brutal, and very real. A True Story that isn't.


WED DEC 10 What are you doing?
What have you got planned for Wed?

No comments: