3/26/09

Artist Profile: Stagehands (part 2)

Ok folks, here is part two of my interview with the Broadway/rock and roll act, Stagehands. In this episode we talk the measurements of success and dream casting. If you missed the first interview, check it out at this Link right here!


Marco- Forgot to mention, we have a Youtube video. We have some interesting segments.... some embarrassing some not so embarrassing.

So, how has the show been received so far, I know you haven't had a chance to put on the entire show, but how is the music received?

Geoff-Really well from what I've heard

M-Well ask Mackenzie, she's actually seen us play

Z- When I saw them at the Horseshoe around Christmas, the crowd was right into them. Because it's Dancy too... it gives the audience a chance to dance and have fun... Audience participation. There are times when we're speaking to the audience, and sort of getting them involved. It's really fun. I'm lucky, because I am new, I saw it from an outsiders perspective. It think it's got something for everyone, it's fairly eclectic. I think all ages, anyone..

M- We don't swear, we're pretty conscious of that.

So, there's no.. is there any taunting of the audience at all? Like Rocky Horror Picture Show?

M- towards the end I think, there's a lot of optimism in the show, and a lot of cynicism, I think it pushes and pulls the audience. Geoff's character stands in for us, but is at the same time a metaphor for exaggerations of who we are. You have to choose sides, are you with the town? or with Stan and Ashley. Depending on who you choose it could be a criticism of yourself, or you could be embracing who you are.

G- The more we play, the more we get the benefit of feeling off the crowd, seeing if we should put up the fourth wall, as in a play, or is it something more crowd interactive.

So you're always learning more

G-yeah, we're tweaking things, every show is an opportunity to do something new and have fun ourselves. Even now it's still a growing revolving thing.

Z (Mackenzie) - I just thought if this, I've gotten emails from strangers and friends saying how much they appreciate what we're doing. Taking it to a new level. They love seeing something so different. Almost experimental.

How do you treat the progression of the band, do you want to see it grow into a production, like, the Evil Dead Musical or something, or do you want to see it more as a band where..

M- Well if anyone wants to put in some money...

G- well I think one thing that always remains is that we it will always be a band vibe, by having our instruments inherent with the characters. The character that Dave plays is embodied in the fact the he plays bass, because hes a domineering, menacing kind a guy. So the bassy tones lend it self to that. These guys you won't them do any crazy chorio cause they have their instruments to focus on. I think that'll always make us feel like a band, no matter how theatrical it gets.

M- It depends on the venue to be honest, I think there are elements of both crowds, where as we could get bottled in front of a certain crowd, or get booed at another one depending on how you perform it. I think the benefit is that theatre people who wouldn't normally go see a rock band, will come see a rock band. and a rock person who's like "Queen's ok, kinda gay" they can come into this not into the individual styles of music, but can appreciate the songs, and the concept, the entertainment we're putting on.

Give them something new

M- I think we've consciously steered clear of what every one else is doing just because they're doing it.
So you don't have one, directed goal, just see where it takes you

G- Yeah, we're definitely open to different kinds of measurements of success. We have applied to certain kind of theatre festivals, because it may shake them up a bit. I think doing a run of shows in one place would be great. But touring would be great as well.

M- what the next year holds, beyond the recording, is something we're very excited about, and curious to see. It could go in any different direction depending on who's interested, and who isn't. If Mirvish production approaches us tomorrow and says "do you want to put this on as a production?" or some school wanted to put it on. It's kind of how we designed it too, so people could pick it up and learn it.

That's what I was going to ask you, if you'd be interested in someone else picking it up and doing a run of it?

M- Yeah, it'd be good for my bank account!

G- yeah, but it'd be nice if we could do it first! A single run before someone else get it.

Z- but to keep all those doors open... why not?

M- I think it's an interesting element that most bands to get to explore. Like, My Chemical Romance's the Black Parade. I personally like that album, but it'd be hard for a high school, for example, to put it on as a show. but there's ways to modify what we're doing. So maybe if like... Christian Bale wants to play the mayor. As long as he doesn't yell at me.

G-Dream casting... I never thought of that. Who would you want to play you?

M- Ray Liotta.

Ray Liotta? To play the sailor?

Z- Scarlett Johanson. She can sing too.

I think she should play the sailor.

M- Woody Allen could play Stan.

That would be good! I'd watch that

G- Zach Effron would turn it down, so they'd give it to Woody. God, we're casting this old.

So the dream cast is Ray Liotta, Woody Allen and Scarlett Johanson?

G- and Seth Rogan as the drummer.

Ok, so you're next show is at the Horseshoe, and is there any other shows we can pimp?

G- yeah what's that benefit?

M- yeah, we're in talks to play a benefit for STAND, Students Take Action Now, Darfur. It's a Darfur organization. It's happening May 22nd. And we're supposed to play with Jully Black and The Midway Stay. By next week we should know 100. I'll be able to confirm that. I don't want to be "ohhh we're playing with Metallica next month!!".

Any final statements?

Z- scouring my brain

G- I've got to save something for my memoirs.

M- You should have the final word.

Z- Why me?

G- last to come last to speak..... or last to join last to speak.

Z- I have no profound last words.

There you go, my interview with Stagehands. You can see them tomorrow night (Sat March 28) at the Horseshoe Tavern. Have a great weekend!

No comments: