8/27/09

This Week in Toronto Aug 27- Sept 2

THURS AUG 27

The Lady Vanishes
playing at Bloor Cinema 4:30
This is a great thriller about a governess who goes missing on a trans European journey and the women who tries to find her. No one acknowledges that she ever existed. Classic early Hitchcock.


FRI AUG 28

Friends in Bellwoods 2 CD release at Lee's Palace
Evening Hymn, Bocce and Forest City Lovers. What a great lineup. I'll be at Fake Prom, so I'll be missing out. I'd love to hear about it from anyone who goes.


SAT AUG 29

The Strip playing at Not My Dog
Always a good time. Great bunch of guys at a nice little venue on Queen St.


SUN AUG 30

Wilderness of Manitoba at Sneaky Dee's
Part of this weeks Wavelength series. Fellow Blogger Jen Polk sent me the link to this event, and I'm glad she did. I'd never heard the band before. Gorgeous harmonies, for fans of Fleet Foxes, Paul Simon, or Great Lakes Swimmers.


MON AUG 31

Harold and Maude playing at Bloor Cinema 7:00
I've mentioned this film many times here, but it's a classic. Hal Ashby directed some of the best, quirkiest comedies in the 70's. His influence can be felt in modern filmmakers like Wes Anderson. This is the story of an odd relationship between a 20 year old man and a 79 year old women. Very funny and poignant.


WED SEPT 2

Luke Vajsar and Shawn Clarke at Hole in the Wall (2867A Dundas St. W.)
This will be fun. A very small, but cool venue in the Junction. Bassist Luke Vajsar is always a treat to watch, his looped bass riffs make for a compelling musical experience.


Have a good week folks! See ya tomorrow with part 2 of my interview with Evening Hymn front man Jonas Bonnetta!

No comments: