8/6/09

This Week in Toronto Aug 6 - 12

Last week was the first time I missed a this week in Toronto since I started this site, and I didn't feel very good about it. I will be making an effort to never miss it again. Oh, by the way, I played last night, opening for Kensington Prairie and Brooke Manning. What a great line-up! Brooke Manning in particular wow-ed the audience, I'll keep you updated on any of her up-coming gigs. I urge you to click on the links if you've never heard of the bands in this list. Check out a song or two. You never know what you'll find.

THURS AUG 6

The Tom Fun Orchestra at Horseshoe
One of the east coasts hardest working bands. Big and fun.


FRI AUG 7

Thomas at Tranzac
Playing in Brooke Manning's band last night where a couple guy from this band. I have yet to see them live, but from their music on Myspace, and their accompaniment last night, I highly reccomend checking them out. Very odd and exciting stuff.


SAT AUG 8

St. Vincent at The Horseshoe
She's got Pitchfork's seal of approval. Her song "Out of Work Actor" is one of those songs that get under your skin. This will be a really interesting show.


SUN AUG 9

Lykki Li at Sound Academy
I love her last album so much. If you like pop singers like Lily Allen, but would like it to suck just a little less, Likki Li is your gal.


MON AUG 10

The Conformist playing at Bloor Cinema

My favorite film by director Bernardo Bertolucci. The look of this film is amazing. The story is intriguing. A must see.


TUES AUG 11

Poison the Well at the Opera House
One of the few hardcore bands I have in my I-pod rotation. I don't know why I dig them more then others... maybe because the singing parts aren't as annoying as most hard-core bands. Or maybe because this is a pretty ecclectic Harcore band. Either way, if your looking for something a little bitter louder this week, here's your show!


WED AUG 12

Shawn Clarke and Miwa Gemini at The Cameron House
My good friend from Brooklyn, Miwa Gemini, booked a lovely evening of music, featuring myself, another band from Brooklyn and another band from Toronto! Should be great!

2 comments:

Sam Allen said...

Shawn,
thanks for showing me Brooke Manning!

Shawn William Clarke said...

She's even better live. It's amazing.