11/23/09

We Are Devo.

Holy shit! I just saw Devo!! Yes it was one of the best shows of the year, and yes I want to start a Devo cover band. Who's with me?! Are we not men?! WE ARE DEVO!!!

My day started innocently enough. I went to work, I arrived late. I slaved away in the basement of a toy store, pricing Tiger Men, counting Thomas toys, etc. I received a call. Would I want to go to Devo tonight? Damn right... Although first I had to figure out who was on the phone. You see, his voice was a little muddled, so I couldn't hear him when he said his name. After a few qualifying questions, I realized it was my sisters friend Dan... or as I like to call him, my new favorite person in the world.

Free Devo tickets. I called up my friend Dana (the biggest Devo fan I know) and invited her along. She said "Damn right, I'll come!".

So then I was in the Phoenix. Waiting for something to start. What would this show be like? Will they be pathetic old men desperately clinging to their youth?

Well... sort of... but for some reason that didn't bother me. I was trying to figure that one out. Why, when I see The Who or Rolling Stones or someone like that, I cringe. I find it a little embarrassing. But Devo made me smile. They rock as hard as anybody. They're interpretation of the classic album "Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo" really focused on the punk elements within. Songs like Uncontrollable Urge and Come Back Jonee rocked out in a way only hinted at on the great LP. For me the highlight was their performance of Jocko Homo. It was one of the best performances I've ever seen. The audience responded to each chant of Are We not men? with enthusiasm. I don't really know the theories behind De-Evolution, but after that performance, I'd gladly be apart of the cult.

Anyways, to anyone reading this with any power, what's the possibility of getting me some tickets for tonight's show? Tonight is a full performance of the fabulous "Freedom of Choice". I want more Devo.



Good night folks.

No comments: