5/16/08

Note From the Editor: HOLY FUCK!!


Holy Fuck.  I mean it.  Holy Fuck.  It isn't just a clever name,  as some 300 people witnessed a couple of hours ago.  You could see it in their faces.  For the dance crowd who demanded more substance.  For the indie kids looking to dance.  The punks falling somewhere in between.  The place to be last night was Wrongbar.  
If you've never seen Holy Fuck, you need to see Holy Fuck.  
Improvised lo-fi noise; casio driven rock.



Brian Borcherdt and Graham Walsh pound keyboards, shout and twist nobs to create a melodic/chaotic soundscape, tongues planted firmly in cheek.  Held up by the powerful, tight rhythm section of Matt McQuid and Matt Schulz, this is the best band to come out of Toronto in a long time, (if not ever).


I've never been so inclined to move.  The crowd was worked into a frenzy, every song building (with jagged fluctuations) until the grand climax of  "Lovely Allen", a song Ed O'Brien and Thom Yorke of Radiohead called "Amazing, Brilliant, excellent", I think that may be an understatement. 
Your next chance to catch these guys is Monday June 2nd at Sound Academy.  Write that on your calendar, you probably won't see a better show this year. 

4 comments:

Lesley Myrick said...

Soooooo sad that I missed this show!! It sounds like it was incredible.

Kristy Gordon said...

Hey that looks like it was a lot of fun! I wish I could have been there!

Shawn William Clarke said...

you'll have to come down when they play again on June 2nd!!

Quarry Records said...

hehe it's Matt McQuaid ;P and I too am sorry I missed this. These guys always blow my mind, as do the other bands Borcherdt and McQuaid play in...good stuff.